Yark employees help graffiti artist Hars Simrit put some touches on a Fiat 500, which was displayed at local art events sponsored by the dealership. PHOTO: GIRL IN THE GLASS CITY
• Dealer: John Yark
• Dealership Group: Yark Automotive Group
• Full-time employees: 26
• 2014 new-vehicle sales: 117, down 4.9%
• 2014 used-vehicle sales: 211, down 17%
• Cool perk: Split scheduling - employees can work split shifts that benefit the goals of the dealership and their personal scheduling.
• Employee benefit: End-of-the-year Yark holiday party, which is a time for employees and their guest to enjoy an elegant evening celebrating their past year's work, with lots of games, door prizes and entertainment.
• Yark on promoting from within: "Our sales staff has typically been promoted from our business development department. Learning proper phone and appointment-setting skills translates to good core values for our sales staff. It makes for a good transition."
• Yark on hiring: "We typically hire employees from customer-service-oriented industries like hotels restaurants."