The team at Bergstrom Volkswagen of Oshkosh was delighted for coworker Andy Krotko when his mom, Lisa, a breast cancer survivor, won the Green Bay Packer autographed football during the Drive For A Cure event.
• Dealer: John Bergstrom
• Dealership Group: Bergstrom Automotive
• Full-time employees: 25
• 2014 new-vehicle sales: 141, down 20%
• 2014 used-vehicle sales: 250, down 1.2%
• Cool perk: When the dealership wins a manufacturer award, employees and guests are invited to a dinner with the senior management team to celebrate.
• Employee benefit: The dealership enrolled in the Garden to Doorstep program, which provides a box of locally grown organic produce that is given away in a raffle drawing among employees each week.
• Chris Mereness, sales manager, on managing personnel: "We have a team member who was struggling as a sales consultant even after one-on-ones and coaching. We decided to move that person into a service adviser position, which also involves selling but more of a softer sale. This team member has taken that position and run with it and is upselling in the service drive, becoming a big part of the success in the service department."
• Mereness on a change made in response to staff request: "Once a month, members of our team get together for a safety meeting. One day, one of our detailers asked what they were doing. When told it was a safety meeting, he was surprised and immediately sat down and started giving us good safety ideas. I asked him if he would like to be involved in those meetings going forward, and he was excited that his opinions mattered. To this day, he looks forward to the next safety meeting."