Employees on a team-building rafting trip in Oregon
• Dealer: Scott Casebeer
• Dealership Group: Capitol Auto Group
• Full-time employees: 144
• 2014 new-vehicle sales: 1,920, up 1.1%
• 2014 used-vehicle sales: 1,135, up 2.1%
• Cool perk: The annual Capitol World Series softball tournament in which teams of employees play games over four weeks. The traveling trophy is awarded at a monthly birthday meeting, and the MVP is recognized.
• Employee benefit: The "Remarkable Chip" is a poker-size chip that is handed out to employees when they are caught doing something right or "remarkable." At the Christmas party, the chips are redeemed for prizes, and the employees are further recognized in front of their peers.
• Arthur Lyter, director of variable operations, on compensation: "Capitol Auto Group as a whole has used a salary-based plan for over six years in the sales department. We have seen an increase in retention along with the benefit of hiring quality sales representatives who might not normally consider this career if their pay plan was only based on commission."
• Carrie Casebeer, vice president and marketing director, on supporting charities: "Capitol Toyota has always believed in giving back to the community. While reviewing their impact, longevity within the community and specific focus, we try to support a diversified group of charities, especially those that have associations with Capitol via customers or vendors. Our best example is our relationship with the local United Way because of their broad reach within the community and the appeal to our employees."