Jack Roush appearance and car signing
• Dealer: David Lee
• Dealership Group: Automotive Management Services Inc.
• Full-time employees: 141
• 2014 new-vehicle sales: 1,428, up 9.3%
• 2014 used-vehicle sales: 934, up 12%
• Cool perk: At a luncheon on the first Friday of each month, Lee gives awards such as employee of the month and salesperson of the month. Employees get checks for sales referrals. Lee also shares comments from satisfied customers.
• Employee benefit: The roundtable committee, which comprises one person from each department, meets once a month. Over lunch, they discuss any issues in their departments. Employees serve on the committee for six months.
• Autumn Murray, executive assistant, on supporting charities: "We are extremely community-oriented and choose our charities based on their level of need and prominence in the community. Our owner, David Lee, serves on the board of the United Way of Rutherford and Cannon Counties and, as a result, our store does an annual campaign drive and gives over $40,000 per year to the United Way."
• Brad Crabtree, parts manager, on a change made in response to staff request: "One of our parts drivers suggested we cut keys in-house for service and used-car departments instead of subbing it out to vendors. We purchased a new, computer-based key machine and now can cut keys for any make or model vehicle in-house. We have saved over $20,000 due to this suggestion. This employee was recognized as our employee of the month and received a $100 gift card."
• Lee on hiring: "We have had success with salespeople from other stores as well as recruiting from other retail entities such as Verizon, Best Buy and Foot Locker. Other nonservice employees come from all walks of life, which we are comfortable with as our training program really results in their confidence and ability being quite high right out of the gate."