Dolphins Cycling Challenge
• Dealership Group: AutoNation, Inc.
• General Manager: John Evanicki
• Full-time employees: 44
• 2014 new-vehicle sales: 582, up 3.6%
• 2014 used-vehicle sales: 431, up 34%
• Cool perk: Land Rover new-vehicle employee purchase program
• Employee benefit: AutoNation associate night at local sporting events. Associates may bring their families and enjoy an evening watching their local professional or semiprofessional team.
• Evanicki on hiring: "Our philosophy has always been to apply the golden rule to all dealings with customers, business contacts and co-workers. Staying true to that credo requires us to hire only those people who subscribe to similar thinking, which usually eliminates many ‘traditional' or ‘old-school' auto retailers. There are people working in our business that absolutely despise the deceit and disrespect that exists and are looking for an oasis where they can work hard and succeed. Most of our sales guides fit that description — they have learned the workings of the business and also have been exposed to the distasteful elements ... and the latter makes them really appreciate our way of doing things. "Our culture promotes honesty and respect, which in turn produces a professional environment that our associates can be proud of. Occasionally, we meet a candidate that has no auto experience but demonstrates strong sales aptitude. We have grown two such candidates into successful sales guides. The greatest challenge with them is the demanding schedule of auto retail."