Office staffers grill burgers on a Friday.
• Dealer: Richard Garber
• Dealership Group: Garber Automotive Group
• Full-time employees: 69
• 2014 new-vehicle sales: 793, up 23%
• 2014 used-vehicle sales: 981, down 4%
• Cool perk: Whenever a department hits its monthly sales goal, the entire staff is treated to a cookout, or another department comes in and cooks breakfast for the entire staff.
• Employee benefit: Every quarter, a portion of the staff goes through a "Gung Ho" training seminar. Once those staff members graduate from the program, they are given a budget to hold an event for themselves. These events have included a chartered dinner cruise, a VIP bowling event and an evening of paintball.
• General Manager Scott Ellsworth on compensation: "We have two different pay plan options that the salespeople can choose: the traditional, commission-based pay plan and a salary/volume bonus-based pay plan. We find the veteran salespeople choose the commission plan, and most of the newer salespeople are more comfortable on the salary/volume bonus plan. Having both options has allowed us to talk to new, younger, less-experienced candidates."
• Ellsworth on a change made in response to staff request: "Based on the suggestion of one of our employees, we began doing an annual safety day at the dealership. The employee was given the responsibility to coordinate the event. She did a phenomenal job, and we were told by the county sheriff department and state police personnel who attended that it was the best they had ever been a part of."